Thursday, November 23, 2006

End of Exam Resolution ;)


Gwendolen to Cecily: Well, to speak with perfect candour, Cecily, I wish that you were fully forty-two, and more than usually plain for your age. Ernest has a strong upright nature. He is the very soul of truth and honour. Disloyalty would be as impossible to him as deception. But even men of the noblest possible moral character are extremely susceptible to the influence of the physical charms of others. Modern, no less than Ancient History, supplies us with many most painful examples of what I refer to. If it were not so, indeed, History would be quite unreadable. (The Importance of Being Earnest)

Assalamualaikum,




yup, the title says it all. Anyway, so gonna watch the BBC adaptation for Pride and Prejudice for the second time. This time, I'll make sure that I'm not going to skip any scene, despite the time constraint :P.




Funnily enough, I'm quite sure that I will prefer this BBC adaptation (not so much eye candy here, mind you), to the 2005 version starred by Keira Knightley. Found myself agreed with what Mia (as in Princess' Diary) once mentioned in the book, particularly inside the list of Women Who Are Too Pretty To Exist, that Keira Knightley was simply too pretty to be Elizabeth Bennet! Yup, Elizabeth Bennet is supposed to be smart but she does not need to look pretty (though I'm sure that beauty and brain are best friends). Yup, so much for the 3Bs :P.




Oh, and there's Colin Firth in this version, whose existence makes up for the lack of eye-candy-for-hungry-eyes and where-are-the-handsome-royal-guys-who-are-supposed-to-be-in-this-kind-of movie unanswered question.




Now I can see why Helen Fielding was so inspired by him, and wrote the Bridget Jones' diary. So easy. Once you are attracted to a character in a movie, write a novel based loosely on the characters and storyline, and voila! You become a millionaire. Maybe I should try this sometimes. Definitely safe to try at home. :P




Oh, and maybe I'll watch The Importance of Being Earnest (again? Been thinking of getting my own DVD). Yup, if you are a girl, you may (for the lack of a better word) drool over Colin Firth in this movie, and if you are a guy, well....maybe to a certain extent, you may wish to drool over Reese Witherspoon :P.




Best,


Adilla




9 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the book Elizabeth Bennet is beautiful, second only to Jane. That may not be fair, but any complaints should be aimed at Austen erself. :-)
At least the 2005 movie has a very beautiful Jane. In the mini-series it doesn't seem very realistic that anyone would have thought Lizzy less pretty than Jane.

Adilla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adilla said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adilla said...

Looks like I have met another Austen's fan :) *proffer hand and shake hands*. Yes, Elizabeth is said to be the second most beautiful of the Bennet girls, but I'd like to think that Austen wanted to emphasize more on her brain. It may not be unfair, since Mary (the 3rd of the sisters)had beautiful voice and strong musical skills, but her family kind of neglected her since her beauty was not up to par, compared to Jane, Elizabeth, Kitty or Lydia. And Austen did not mention enough of her in the book. Well, I have a friend who is beautiful, smart, enormously talented, and she is really sweet and kind. So this Elizabeth is realistic enough, I guess. Anyway, I have never been beautiful myself, so who am I to judge other persons' beauty? :P Thanks for your comment. May I know who is this?

Apret said...

Quoted from Adilla :
Well, I have a friend who is beautiful, smart, enormously talented, and she is really sweet and kind.

Were you referring these praises to me? Oh well, please stop to flatter me like that, i'm truly embarassed ^^

Adilla said...

Dear God, please forgive me for having misled someone into believing that she is beautiful,smart, enormously talented, sweet and really kind. You know that I can't bear the consequences. Ameen...
:P :P :P

Adilla said...

Same here, Nes :D.Ada di media resource library, tapi cuma boleh ditonton disana :).

Apret said...

ADOH!! Colin Firth punya muka jadul banget, udah gt mukanya jutek en rambutnya acakadul, kalo ngomong sok kul padahal ga ada sedikitpun kul kulnya. Wadaw bleeding deh gw T_T

Piss everyone *diamuk massa* XD

Adilla said...

Huhuhu...tapi dia kan cowok tipe A, Yu...Sekelas lah sama Hugh Grant and Hugh Jackman :D :D. Dan yang paling penting...dia bisa masuk TN... :P :P :P Hail, Mr. Darcy! :D